What items to carry and what could be left behind was one of the most important, critical yet frustrating experience for me. So after my 5th solo trip, i created a list of my own. It used to have a lot more items in the beginning, but eventually i trimmed it to the bare essentials, rest I could manage during the trip from time to time.
I have carried some very funny stuff in the beginning,
like one time i thought a hair dryer was worth carrying along, or a travel iron for that matter
Keep a designated day bag or a carry on for everyday- This is the one you will carry along locally after reaching your destination also-
- Transit tickets and passes (air, rail, road)
- Your ID card
- Your medical card with emergency contact number
- Extra photographs (There are a lot of forms which could be filled out there)
- Your cash and prepaid cards
- Your field notebook with research
- Emergency phone numbers for local authorities- The nearest police station and its contact number, the nearest hospital and its contact number.
- Travel money belt
- Medical kit
This will be a series of articles, next up I will list out the essential clothing items to carried along according to me.